Friday, August 20, 2010

Gazpacho

If you follow my blog you probably already know about my obsession this summer with gazpacho.  Just as I was obsessed with shrimp ceviche last summer, it seems to be gazpacho this summer.  The good news is that this is so very easy, fresh, and healthy!  It is a great way to get your veggies in.  I cannot sing the praises of my gazpacho enough.

I have made three batches this summer and it is just so yummy! The first time I made it I used a food processor, the second time I only did a couple of the veggies in the processor, the third batch I chopped everything by hand. It is so chunky and delicious and a great way to get some veggies in. I was able to use cucumber, green pepper, tomato, and tarragon from our garden.

This is the original recipe I use with a few modifications. Gazpacho

I use two 11.5 oz cans of V-8 vegetable juice in place of tomato juice. I use a red onion, two or three cloves of garlic, no sugar, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, I sub cilantro (because I LOVE it) for the parsley, and I have been using fresh tarragon and basil.





My gazpacho:


Ingredients

  • 2 11.5 ounce cans V-8 juice
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cucumber, chopped
  • 2 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried tarragon (I use fresh)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil (I use fresh)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I use cilantro)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

The amazing cast of characters

You can see the coarse chop of the veggies.

With the herbs added in.

Fresh healthy fabulousness in a bowl!

If this sounds good to you I strongly urge you to make it.  I need to make myself another bowl this weekend (it only lasts a few days).

No comments:

Post a Comment